We can all agree that THATCamp.org and its network of attached sites is pretty great, but it has been around for a while and the concept of what (and where) a THATCamp could be has expanded a lot. If we could start from ground 0 and build a new THATCamp.org knowing what we know now about how the events happen, who does them, and what they can produce, how could we build something different? What ways could we build a new site network that does the best job it can do, not just at organizing us, but also at:
- Teaching lessons learned at THATCamp
- Making information thought, recorded and experienced easily available and easy to find regardless of camp site
- Promotion of the camps and the information from them
- Allowing campers to be iterative and not repetitive.
- Provide a central area to release, maintain, and work on post-camp projects
- Whatever else you can think of
Another way to help think of this is the upcoming release of the WordPress API gives us an opportunity to ask: what would a THATCamp or DH API look like?
A place to start on APIs: github.com/jheising/HAPI/blob/master/README.md